Saturday 3 November 2018

Route 66 - Part V

Hi there 

    The ride started well ,after yesterdays ride my confidence had grown and felt like I was in command of the bike.As we were turned towards our destination of the day.At one junction the signal light turned yellow,since I was in the last of the group I accelerated the bike to avoid the red signal  however Mark halted,since I was right behind him ,I almost banged my bike into his ,however I avoided a direct crash with him and whirred my bike towards left,resulting in I loosing the balance .Thank my stars I did not fall and bike tilted but I was able to lift the bike and proceed further to join the group,no damage to both bikes.

   But this incident badly shook me up,in fact I was literally scared to even ride bike on a high speed and this become evident  when we halted for the first attraction,as I had suddenly become very quite.
   
  The first attraction was the Brush Creek Bridge also known as the rainbow bridge.Build in 1923 it is a single span bridge,only one of its kind now.It is also Kansas state landmark.
  
  There after it was refueling halt,at that time Richard took me to a side and explained me all the safety aspects ,at the same time gave me a pep talk.Mark walked up to me and   said sorry for sudden brake-even though he was not at fault.
  
  My spirit elated ,however now I was riding under the fear of not dashing the bike again.


Brush Creek Bridge


   It was time  for another stop ,this time Vintage Iron museum,which was located at Miami,Oklahoma.It has the largest collection of photos of vintage motorcycles in USA.
   
  An lovely place ,dont miss it,the owner is very sweet person and always ready to share information.


Vintage Iron museum,Miami,Oklahoma






This is the original Royal Enfield 


Chopper named after General Lee



Just a random click of Andrea and Sara



Red beauty

  There after we again rode on the highway and it was time for another halt at the buffalo ranch,Afton .This place has got actual buffalo's .




Its a huge statue not the real one!!!!



Real Buffalo's saw them for the first time 


    As we moved further it was time for lunch,Richard planned it in such way that not only we saw another landmark but also had lunch,the place was Blue Whale at Catoosa ,Oklahoma.

   The whale was build by Hugh Davis in 1970 as a surprise anniversary gift to his wife Zelta. The family was able to maintain the whale and surrounding picnic area till 2001,thereafter after the death of original owners it got neglected.

   The city of Catoosa took over and restored it to its former glory .The city still  looks after the structure . 


 


Richard and Suzanne


Fearful of heights, Mathew just got down the whale


 Lunch time

 Shop selling memorabilia at the blue whale

   It was move again and halt for another gas top up.This time Andy,Mathew and Peter walked up to me and spoke to me . Andy told me that while riding in formation I was looking down at the rear wheels of bike in front of me ,which is wrong I should look up,Matthew gave me tips on how to corner,while Peter asked me to follow him ,he also asked Mark to be the last person in the group,that way both me and Mark were now under supervision of Peter. 



                                                    With Peter after the peep talk


Random click

   Viola !!!! this combination just worked like magic,with Peter with watchful eyes of Peter it was fun to ride ,there was a quantum improvement in my riding. 

   The next stop was Seaba Station.In 1924 it was build by John and Alice Seaba.Initially it was garage but by 1930 John started repairs of connecting rods of vehicles,it also become manufacturing the rods so much so that during WWII it had govt contract for manufacturing of the connecting rods.
   
   In 1952 John Seaba sold the business to Victor and June Briggs who ran the business till 1987,thereafter it was sold to father and son duo,who ran the business for 7 yrs ,they sold the business to the present owners Sonny and Sue Preston.
  
   They not only restored the building but also added a gift and memorabilia shop.Today it has one of the best collections of motorcycle,which you can also buy.It also has a crate packed Triumph and .A must visit place.
    








Original Captain America Bike 








 The Jawa




Crate packed Triumph

This is not an Harley but a brand which closed down 



     After the Seaba Station we were back on the huge highway,now riding at speed of  
70 miles  per hr.But this posed a new challenge to me ,there was lot of cross wind,in spite of the weight of bike it seemed as if the wind was forcing us off the road.Actually the windshield provided on the bike is not practical and it obstructs the wind flow,this causes the push by the wind .
  
   Somehow we reached the hotel in Oklahoma city.The hotel staff meanwhile had given us wrong key,and we could not go to rooms till we got the correct keys. After fresh up it was time to explore the city.


Matthew tired- waiting for correct key.


Brick road in old town


Magnificent river front in old town



Below art work in the city




  
 By this time I was missing the spicy food ,just googled and went to this Thai Kitchen restaurant,the owner made lovey thai curry  for me .Its a small cosy place ,excellent food and superb owner.

        
Thai Kitchen

  After strolling some more in the city it was time to hit the bed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment