Monday 16 September 2019

Burning rubber in Canada - Part I

Hi There

   It has been a long time in fact almost 8 months that I have blogged ,the main reason is due to change in job and location,this  restricted my time on Thunderbird.

   Before I rode Route 66 ,I had thought about doing a trans Canada ride starting from Toronto to Dawson city,however I was not able to find a single firm which could lend me a motorcycle for such a long ride.After sometime I shelved the idea and told myself that I will one day do a ride in Canada.In the mean time Route 66 happened and it opened my eyes to the wonderful world of motorcycling  in North America.

   So this year again I started my search for a motorcycle to ride in Canada, but I changed my start point from Vancouver to Dawson city. Eagle rider were very prompt in response and offered me a motorcycle at very good rate .I was almost going to put the booking amount and behold!!!Canadian visa got delayed in fact it got so delayed that I thought I would not be able to ride this summer and will ride next season.Finally I send a regret note to eagle rider ,and after few days I got a email from the embassy that you have got the visa please send passport for stamping!! I  was very happy, on cloud nine and within 15 days I got my passport back duly stamped .

   However  I had not booked a motorcycle and was contemplating how to go about the tour .In the meantime I spoke to  Deepak and Netrali they were also planning a tour of Canada and we  decided to do the journey in an SUV.This will not only allow us to travel and stop as we want but could at times act as a home too in case we got stuck in some eventualities.

   I had already planned the route and shared with them ,we were to  start from Vancouver go to Banff-Jasper  than to Whitehorse and lastly to Dawson city and back to Vancouver via Liard hot spring.

   My journey started from Mumbai International Airport in Cathay Pacific to Vancouver with change of flight in Hong Kong.



 Beautiful Mumbai International Airport


 Beautiful Mumbai International Airport


My Cathy flight to Hong Kong


Transfer area in Hong Kong Airport


Mini India on Vancouver flight


   I landed in Vancouver on 09 July 19. The weather was lovely and it was good airport.The immigration process was smooth but had a long line .Once out of baggage area ,I faced with my first problem to reach the hotel. Deepak had chosen the hotel in such a way that it had a free pickup from the airport.After collecting my baggage I straight away went to information center which was manned by two Indian origin ladies not just they were  helpful but infact they came out and showed me the place were hotel shuttle will arrive.

   I tried to contact the hotel via wifi but was not able to do so ,in meantime I asked another hotel shuttle driver about my hotel shuttle ,he told me it will come in next 20mins ,however I waited for almost one hour with no shuttle I decided to walk back to the information center and ask for there help.

   I explained my plight to both the ladies they promptly contacted the hotel and assured that shuttle will come in 20 mins .I again walked out and got the shuttle in 20 mins,upon reaching the hotel ,the reception was very apologetic regarding delay in shuttle .

  
Vancouver International Airport


Vancouver International Airport

   After  completed my check in formalities I crashed in and woke up after about 5 hours of sleep. Went outside to explore nearby areas as well as a Walmart.

\
Lovely weather 



Live crabs for sale in Walmart


Live fish for sale 



     I came back only to meet  Deepak,Netrali and wonderful kids-Shaunak and Malhar. They were super exited to meet me. I pinched myself that my dream is coming true of  going to Dawson city.


First Hotel in Vancouver

    After a dinner of pizza I again went to sleep super exited, for the adventure began's tomorrow.

     Ride Safe Firm Saddle. 

  








8 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading. Keep on blogging. Your travel diary is inspiring me to take Alaska tour next year. Dawson was so near to Alaska. Wish you could have made that additional day journey to be in Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful read. Brought back all the memories how we started the trip. Will wait for next parts.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a superb display of will power and comittement.As I read the article I could feel the positive vibes strongly.Considering the kind of Job that you have all I can say is .....Hats Off.

    ReplyDelete